Subject: Re: Greetings from Huron City Museums
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2008 22:03:15 EST

Hi Patty,

I printed out your email so I wouldn't miss any of your questions.
First let me say I have wonderful memories of my childhood days in the thumb 
area of Michigan.  I was born June 29, 1925 and from 1930 until I entered the 
Navy I spent my summers on my Grandfathers farm on New River Road just south 
of Stoddard Rd. There use to be a line of huge cedar trees, about 15, just 
south of Stoddard. My grandparents were Frank Sr & Rebecca Fuller. He was blind as 
long as I remembered him & his youngest son had the 240 acre farm. They grew 
wheat, oats, barley, corn and the well known navy beans.  A mixture of milking 
cows which I had the pleasure of helping on a 3 legged stool.  Another uncle 
lived not too far from Huron City on the Huron City Rd. & he too had a farm.  
Uncle Charlie & Aunt Mae Fuller.  He suffered from a sunstroke & died fairly 
early. Aunt Mae remained on the farm with heir daughter Leila for many years 
after.  My father was one of 8 boys & 3 girls. Oliver was my father and there 
were George, Roy, Charlie, Bill, Guy, Alfred and Frank. Girls were Mary, Nellie &
 Bertha Mae.  There are many of my relatives buried at the New River Cemetery 
about a mile west of Huron City.  My Aunt Mary married Murdock Day & I still 
have many cousins in the area.  My Uncle George & Aunt Bertha also had a farm 
on Huron River Drive but I was too you to remember just where.

The movies I remember at the Huron City Methodist Church were inside and I 
don't remember them being talking movies. This would have been in the early 
30's.  I went to the Montgomery School on Stoddard Rd in 1934.  Teacher was Ms. 
Merrick. Others I remember were Billy Foster, Jimmy Cutler, Clifford Alton, 
Lucille & Donna Perdue or Purdue, Billy Allen, Two Charlie Temple's children, 
Goldie & Sam Huitt sp., Margurite MacDonald and my cousins, Betty, Beatrice & Art 
Day.  I would walk across the field to school and would like to get their 
early to pull the rope to ring the school bell.  The last time I was on Stoddard 
the school house is gone but the girl & boys outhouses still stand.  

I don't remember ice cream in Huron City. It was west in what was Grindstone 
City that had the ice cream.  

I remember being in the church when my grandmother had her funeral services 
there.  It was cold and kept our coats on.  Grandfather died while I was in the 
Navy in 1943. 

I don't know if the lady is still living but one with a wealth of history and 
a marvelous memory lives at the corner of New River Rd & M-25 (or M-24)

Thank you Patty for emailing me and refreshing my memory of the "good old 
days".  It's been a pleasure.
Don Fuller
17770 Brinson St.,
Riverview, MI 48193
734.282.1141
cell 734.552.3142

Got a few minutes" Go to:
nasgi.org
photo link,muske-tar & alumni
Don Fuller Collection.

 

**************
Start the year off right.  Easy ways to stay in shape.
     
http://body.aol.com/fitness/winter-exercise?NCID=aolcmp00300000002489