Subject: Re: RLD specifics
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2004 21:30:35 EDT

Hi Patty,

I have the program outlined and have enough info for a flyer.

Ann has already received the draft of the invitation in publisher with the 
most current info.  Here attached is what I have so far:

Anyway, we have a good lineup of program and music this year.  I am not 
writing myself into the program at this moment tho I expect to participate as a 
reader/MC if I am feeling up to it.

At lunch, Alan Wasserman Trio will provide the music.  Dad will MC and Katy 
will give a short talk about our progress this year.  I would like you also to 
have a talk about your accomplishments and work with the museums this year.

The program in the Church will begin (or end, I haven't decided yet) with the 
dedication of the stained glass windows restored over the past year with an 
appeal for more support.  Donny Burton will be there to take a bow.

The rest of the program is called "Playing Games" (the title of one chapter 
of the Autobiography) and will take a look at the very important role that 
sports played in WLP's life and philosophy.  He writes extensively about his own 
sport activity and how champions inspired him and his Yale students.  We will 
read poems by Eddy Guest, Phelps' own words, and perhaps some newpaper accounts 
from the era.  Readers will include Dad, Ric Hill and Walter D. Wagoner, Jr. 
(I hope he really comes or I'll have to play Billy myself!!).  This is not 
final so we won't announce the readers until later.

We will punctuate this part of the program with Yale songs, perhaps some 
audience participation with cheers and sing-alongs, assisted by members of the 
Grunyons (I am considering dubbing them either "The Yalees" or "The Bulldogs" for 
this occasion, since they will be a so-called barbershop quartette only), a 
men's vocal jazz group based in Grosse Pointe.  Dad was a founding member of 
the Grunyons and will sing along.

Music at the program will be provided by the "Lovenotes" of Port Huron, Doug 
Krieger at the piano with Anne Brown on Flute, Karen Tomalis on Drums and Andy 
Lloyd on Bass.  They are a jazz quartet.  Doug Krieger is also a member of 
the Grunyons and is donating his services as well as a small cash contribution. 

They will perform a composition called  "Suite for Piano and Flute" by Claude 
Bolling.
Selections are "Baroque and Blue" and "Irlandaise".  They will also play an 
arrangement of Amazing Grace and a piece called The Preacher.  I will finalize 
the program with them later.

Stage setup will be simple: we will use the dark blue backdrop, remove the 
ecclesiastic objects and set up a chair and lamp for book reading.  There will 
be other props on stage, to be determined as I work with the script.  We will 
need the sound system and the lighting.

I hope this gives you a rough idea of what I am planning.  It will be a very 
cute program, less serious than last year's, and I have the script coming 
along well.  I have chosen all the readings and only need to get the whole thing 
timed out to the proper length.  (That is the hard part.)

My "schedule":  Had chemo this week and was pretty wasted today.  I am 
feeling better now after sleeping most of the last 48 hours.  I have an appointment 
on Monday, so I will not be in HC until Tuesday.  In the meantime, I have what 
I need here to keep working on RLD.

When I get up there, we can take a closer look at the exhibits, especially 
the wreck room.  The little golf car Dad bought me is going to give me good 
mobility and is a lot of fun.  I look forward to the summer!  All I can say is, 
"Hey!!  I'm still here!!"  Last year I was not at all sure I would ever see 
Huron City again.  So, me HAPPY!

Betsy